December 1, 2015

North Carolina - Day Two

Today has been a much better day. Will woke up first and came to cuddle with me. I never get to cuddle with him at home because he is in the top bunk and it was a perfect way to start the day. Unfortunately we had a little stress before breakfast.


My three cute boys
We were in no rush to get down to breakfast and I left the kids playing quietly when I went to brush my teeth. But when I came out of the bathroom I found Jon playing Legos, Will on the kindle, and no Christian. I called for him, thinking he might be hiding, but there was no answer. After a quick look around our bedroom and living room I began to worry that he might have gone down the hall. Christian had never done that before and normally we keep the door chain locked so he couldn't get out anyway but James left early this morning and was unable to lock the door from the outside.

We were all in our pajamas so I sent Jon down the hall to see if Christian had gone around the corner while I stayed in to make a more thorough search. As I went around the back bed I heard a little giggle, Christian had been hiding behind the thick curtains between the window and the bed. I was so relieved!


Christian slides headfirst
But when I went to call in Jonny, he was not out in the hall. I called him and then, since I was still in my pajamas, sent Will out to find him. Will looked but came back saying "He isn't anywhere". Well. Now I've lost another child. But a minute later I heard pajama clad feet walking down the hall and Jon came into our room.

Sighing with relief I asked Jon where he had gone. "I went to ask everyone downstairs to help us look." That raised my stress level again as I pictured a breakfast room full of people wondering about the irresponsible mother and her lost child and searching for Christian in the hallways. I was foolish perhaps for being so embarrassed but I was very proud of Jon for looking so hard for his little brother and for asking for help. I did still send him down again to tell everyone that Christian had been found and everything was fine.

I waited half an hour before heading down to breakfast. I still didn't want to run into anyone who had talked to Jon! I shouldn't have worried though because the hotel is very empty and there was only one couple there. Jon finished breakfast early and Christian was a little nuts so I took them upstairs and left Will to finish up alone. I like this age where he is starting to grow in independence but still loves to cuddle. 


Three silly brothers
After breakfast we went swimming until it was time for lunch. We picked up James and went out to an Italian restaurant because we couldn't eat any more fast food. When I was young I didn't think it was possible to become sick of eating out but I am so ready for a home cooked meal. I can get two out of the three but it seems impossible to find healthy, tasty, and affordable food while we are on the road. 

After lunch we dropped James off at work and headed out to the playground. The rain had finally stopped and even though everything was still gray and wet the kids had to run around and play. The playground was completely deserted when we arrived and all the slides were wet but the boys didn't mind. Then ran around happily, chasing each other, getting dizzy on the merry-go-round, and splashing through the little stream. 


On the Merry-Go-Round
Jon
After a while another family arrived with two young children and an uncle who was chasing them around. My boys wanted to join in the fun and began running after the uncle, begging to be caught. He was a great sport and played with all the kids for at least 45 minutes. It looked like quite a work out! 


Christian concentrates
Swinging down
The playground was great and it was really good for the boys to finally run off some of their energy. We arrived back at the hotel just in time to find James walking in and he agreed to go with us to the pool before he started studying.


                                                        James throws Christian


                                                                      Will dives in


                                                       James gives Jon a ride

The pool was wonderful. There was a family of four there and the kids had a wonderful time playing together. James played with the other kids too who kept asking him to throw one of our water rings for them to catch. I was happy to just swim quietly and relax a little bit. It was nice not having to be in charge!


James and Christian
                                                           Christian is a shark


                                                          Will falls into the water

We did take out for dinner and I found this wonderful little pizza place. We will certainly eat there again before we leave and we will add it to our favorite places for the next time we are down here. 

With all the traveling we do, I think we come to North Carolina most often. James has to do training once or twice a year and his instructor here is the best. When we arrived on Sunday James was feeling down, stressed and tired from the long drive and hectic month, and he was not excited about his class. But he has so much fun learning! Every night, every day at lunch, he leaves his class with a huge smile on his face. It is wonderful to see! 

But James has finally stopped studying and the kids have long been asleep and it is time for me to go to bed too. Tomorrow we are off to visit the long awaited Edventure ("It's like adventure but with an E!" - Will) and the boys are very excited. Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment