December 3, 2015

North Carolina - Day Four

What a day. I don't even know that I want to write about it. It started out well enough, the boys slept in (hooray!) and were well behaved at breakfast. We did have a bit of a syrup problem though. Jon went to get me some and was very kindly trying to open the cup of syrup for me when the whole thing tipped over onto my leg. There is a surprising amount of syrup in those little cups! Syrup is very sticky and rather difficult to wipe off your pants with napkins. Eventually I gave up on the napkins and rushed to the bathroom trying to stop the drips from hitting the floor. Wet paper towels weren't too much help either and I returned to finish breakfast with wet and sticky pants. 

After breakfast we went upstairs to do school. History went well, I taught the boys to correctly use the words "draconian" and "ostracize" which could serve them well in the future. If the boys ever accuse me of being draconian next time I enforce our electronic limits I am sure they will get extra time!

But that was all fine. The difficult part started later while the boys were doing math. Jon was thirsty and when he discovered that we didn't have juice he completely lost it. Full blown tantrum. Hysterical crying, stomping, the works. Eventually, an hour later, he calmed down just in time for us to pick up James for lunch. 

Jon was still fragile at lunch so he and I sat in the car and ate together while James, Will and Christian ate inside and played at Chick-Fil-A play place. Jon and I had a nice lunch and he seemed happy to spend some time alone with me. I think that the endless days away from home, from our regular routine, are getting to all of us. And while we do spend a lot of time together on our trips the boys get less one on one time with us and no one gets time alone. Will had a meltdown too in San Diego where he said that he thought Christian was getting all our attention. We try, but it is a lot harder to give individual attention when we are away from home.

After lunch we dropped James off and went to the playground. The boys ran around for bit and played with some children there but none of them were as excited as last time. Jon was tired and a little weepy so he spent some of the time sitting on a bench with me waiting to go home. 

We returned home for a quiet rest time. Will wrote in his notebook, Christian played Legos, and Jon had a bubble bath. It was a peaceful hour. But then it began again. I made the mistake of asking Jon to copy a few words as part of his writing practice. Full meltdown mode once again. It took another hour but he finally calmed down. Will and Christian watched a movie in the living room while I sat next to Jon on the bed and scratched his back as he did his writing. 

James took Jon out to pick up dinner and I that seemed to really cheer him up. We had some fantastic Lebanese food for dinner. It was so good! And just what we needed after eating so much fast food. I think we have another favorite place to eat! This has been an adventurous month for me, who would have thought that I'd try and love both Japanese and Lebanese food?

The boys are sleeping now and I hope that tomorrow will be a better day. I do love coming on business trips with James (there is no alternative for us!) but I don't think I want to do two big trips so close together again. I can't wait to be home!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment