November 16, 2015

Sea World - San Diego Day Eleven

November is the right time of year to go to San Diego. The weather is beautiful, not too hot but still warm enough to go swimming, and there are no crowds. Today is our last day and we spent it at my favorite childhood theme park, Sea World! 


Another beautiful day. I will never be tired of this view!
A sunny day at Sea World
Group hug! I snapped this picture right before I got pulled in.
When I was twelve, my dad, my best friend Lydia, and I went to Tijuana on a mission trip with our church. Instead of flying home with everyone though we stayed an extra day and spent time with my aunt and uncle who had driven 550 miles to see us. I remember being given the choice between Sea World or the San Diego Zoo. I am so glad we chose Sea World because it was an amazing day!





I've been to Sea World in Orlando at other times in my life and while I've always loved the dolphin and Shamu shows they remain jumbled up together in my memory. My clearest memory of that day is of petting a penguin. The metal railing cut into my stomach as I leaned as far as I could over the barrier to touch the smooth wet back of a penguin. I doubt that it was allowed but it was such a wonderful experience. We had an incredible day!






I have many wonderful memories of Sea World and I am really glad that I could share it with my kids. I wasn't sure how they would like it. They've already been to Universal, Disney, and Legoland in their short lives, not to mention countless amazing zoos and smaller amusement park. Would they be impressed with Sea World? They loved it!! I was so happy.



The first thing we saw when we walked through the entrance was a couple touch tanks full of little fish, sharks, hermit crabs, and rays. The boys had so much fun petting them all. Will stayed in a corner of one tank making friends with the sharks. He named one Ray, one Spotter, and one Sharkbite. Christian couldn't decide which tank he liked best and ran from one to the other. 


Jon and Christian at the touch tanks
Will names his sharks

After the touch tank we visited the dolphin pool which we all loved and then went over to ride the Manta, the big roller coaster. I don't know if it was the weather, the weekday, or the time of year but Sea World was empty. Will, Jon and I were able to ride the coaster over and and over, climbing back on the same car we had just left. The Manta was swooping, soaring, fast ride that we loved. James took the boys on it once and I went on with them five times!


A dolphin comes to say hello
Jon's picture of the dolphins
Will, Jon, and I riding the Manta coaster. What a great ride!
While the boys and I were up on the ride, Christian, James and Camille were waiting for us at the Ray touch tank. Christian's loved petting the big bat rays there, it might have been his favorite part. He was so happy running back and forth finding new ones to touch.


Christian pets a ray that has come to say hello
I am pretty sure this is a bat ray...
We had lunch at the Shipwreck Cafe and it was a fantastic meal! I was expecting typical museum/amusement park fare but this was excellent. We had chicken, pasta, and salad and all of it was good. 
Christian enjoying the fish
After lunch it was time for the Dolphin show and we had to run right over since the theater was on the other side of the park. It was a cool day but the boys wanted to get wet so I sat with them in middle of the soak zone. The dolphin show was wonderful! That seems like such a small word for the beauty of the dolphins leaping out of the water and interacting with their trainers but I cannot do it justice. The boys loved the show although they were so disappointed that they didn't get wet! I told them not to worry though because we were sure to be splashed at the Shamu show.


Waiting to get wet
It was an amazing show!
Jon's picture of the ghostly trainers
A smiling dolphin
So long and thanks for all the fish!
We had a little time between shows so we went to visit the turtle and the shark exhibits. The turtles were cool but it was the sharks that were most exciting to see. The exhibit took us through a tunnel underneath the tank. Even safely behind glass there is something terrifying about them.




The shark tunnel was really cool!

Jon's picture of a shark
We arrived early for the Shamu show so the boys and I could get soak zone seats close to the glass. The orcas were amazing. The show was less dramatic than the dolphin show but it is awe inspiring to see the killer whales leap out of the water. The boys loved it and it was hard for me to decide between watching the show or Christian's face. This time we got wet and he was so happy that "a whale splashed me!"


Ready for the show and hoping to get wet!
Backflip!
Jon's picture of an orca



Will's reaction to the show.
Since the boys and I were already wet we decided to go on a river raft ride after the show. Camille waited for us onshore keeping herself and all our stuff dry. The ride was so much fun and we all shrieked and yelled at each wave washed over our raft.


We were soaked!
Before we left the park we saw the penguins (although we didn't pet them), orcas in their tanks, beluga whales, and a walrus. We even saw a couple of wild rabbits hopping around. Christian wanted to bring one home with us to be a friend for our bunnies. We missed the sea lion show but there was so much to do there that we didn't have time. But before we left James bought Jon a polar bear to be the daddy for his "poley" family and he bought me a stuffed dolphin. I have a couple from my childhood, all named "Flipper". It was a tradition for me to get one when I went to Sea World or Marine World and I was so happy when James surprised me with one.


Watching the orcas. 
My little penguins!
We had a wonderful day at Sea World, it was a perfect last day. This has been an amazing trip! But we leave tomorrow and it is time for me to start packing. 

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment