November 10, 2015

Botanical Garden - San Diego Day Five

Today was another quiet day. I woke up feeling pretty bad, it still hurts to swallow, but James made me breakfast and ran out to get me more medicine. That helped but I would really love for this cold/illness/infection? to be over soon because I don't know how long I can keep this up. It is knocking me down and we still have so much we want to do!

James and Camille took Christian out shopping again this morning while I stayed home with Will and Jon to do a little cleaning and school. Having these couple hours of quiet in the morning has been really nice. And I am so happy that Will and Jon have been doing their school so cheerfully, even though we are on vacation!


Our breakfast view
After our relaxing morning we headed out to lunch at Richard Walker's Pancake House. The restaurant is part of a chain James loved during his childhood in Illinois . I loved listening to him and Camille reminisce about their years in Chicago. It was a fantastic breakfast place, one of the best! Jon was in heaven with his chocolate covered crepe and James had a delicious apple German pancake. I had Swedish Pancakes which is my personal favorite although I've never seen them at a restaurant before. They were excellent but, I was rather pleased to discover, not quite as good as my family recipe. 


Jon eyes his lunch with delight
After breakfast we headed over to the botanical gardens in Balboa Park. On the way in we passed a number of museums and Will spoke wistfully of visiting the History Museum. I made a comment to James about our son loving museums and Will contradicted me "Not all of them. I just love History and Science Museums. Those are my favorites." I'm hoping that we'll have time to visit one before we leave!


Stopping to photograph the flowers
Pretty in Pink
After the gardens, James and Camille went into the Photography Museum. I thought it would be pushing our luck to take the kids in and didn't think it would be worth the cost of admission for them. So instead the boys and I went and rented a Surrey Bike for us all to ride. I've never seen one before but it could seat six people, four of whom could pedal it. The boys and I had a lot of fun driving it around while we waited to meet up with James and Camille. 


The boys play at the fountain

Will loves the smell of roses. He wants to grow roses at home.
As we were driving around we came across a woman who made balloon animals and we stopped to buy some. She was so nice and made Jon the Ultimate Super Hero! She didn't know who it was but he asked for Spider Man's body and Batman's head and cape and she made it for him. Jon was so happy! Will got a double bladed blue lightsaber and she made Christian a ray gun. Fully armed we drove off to pick up Daddy and Grandma.


Jon and the Ultimate Superhero!

Will with his double bladed lightsaber

Christian shoots at people from the Surrey
We all piled into the Surrey Bike and went for a little ride. It was a little harder to drive with all six of us, especially since James and I were primarily responsible for the power. But we were having fun and soon we took a turn down a slight incline toward the Air and Space Museum. The boys were calling for us to go faster and it was all great fun. Of course, what goes downhill must go up and we soon ran into some difficulty on the way back. 


I am driving the boys to meet James and Camille
It is true that James and I are not in the best shape but the bike's design was such that we couldn't use our weight to provide extra power as we would on a normal bike. No one else was in a position to provide much pedal power so we eventually had to get out and push. That was so much easier! Eventually we got back to level ground and we could all ride again. We were tired but all happy and laughing by the time we returned the Surrey. 




Our next stop was the Desert Garden across the street. This entire trip Christian has been so excited about cacti, always looking out for them from the car, and he was very excited to see them in person. He set off on a scientific expedition to ascertain if cacti really would hurt him. He would walk carefully up to a cactus, gently touch a spine, and then examine his finger to see if he was bleeding. Then in a happy and surprised voice would announce, "It didn't hurt me!" He did this to every cactus he came across and eventually came to the conclusion that they could not hurt him.



Christian carefully touches a cactus
Christian examines his finger to see if there is blood
James was not so lucky. We were gathered in front of a large cactus for a picture when James went to put his arm around me and was stabbed by the spines. He yelled and pulled his arm away to find a long scratch and a little blood. But Camille was trying get us all in position for the picture and it wasn't that bad so James lifted his arm and did it again. I lost it. Camille didn't know what had happened and was trying to take the picture, Jon ran forward to tell her that we couldn't take the picture, James was in pain but laughing, and I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. Even now it makes me laugh and laugh.


James is stabbed for the second time!
Finally we get a family picture!
Christian is eaten by the Kraken plant
Cactus tree!?!





















Before we left Balboa Park we stopped at a playground so the boys could run. I'm sure why but Jon was very fragile. James wanted to take advantage of the golden light to take a couple pictures of me and when Jon couldn't get our attention right away he stormed off to pout in a tree. He did recover but he was pretty fragile for the rest of the evening. Christian really wanted Jon's attention so he was unhappy too. But Will had a great time on the playground and eventually Jon cheered up and the three of them played until it was time for dinner.


Will hangs on a zip line
James and his sons
James and Christian


Flowering tree
Christian did stay awake for dinner but hardly ate anything. I don't know what is up with him on this trip! Usually he has a great appetite but he has been all over the place. He was complaining of a stomach ache and wouldn't touch his food. Will was great and was trying his best to get Christian to eat. It didn't work but I'm always happy to see him in big brother mode.


Christian gives Will a tight hug as we try for a picture
Hanging out in the cactus tree
Well that's it really. It was a quiet day but we had a lot of fun. Tomorrow we are heading out to Palm Springs and another desert. We have an early start so I am off to bed. Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment