May 26, 2015

North Carolina Drive Down - Day Two

I am lucky to have little boys.  Aside from the fact that boys are generally awesome it means that I can go alone to the bathroom while James has to shepherd the whole group on our rest stops.  This morning though I took three year old Charlie in to the bathroom while everyone else finished breakfast.  As I was waiting outside the stall I heard him exclaim "Oh, my little penis!  It's gorgeous!"  I burst out laughing.

Charlie dresses himself
Unfortunately the rest of the day was not nearly as amusing.  The boys, with the possible exception of Jon, were all acting up, storming off, whining and generally disobeying.  Instead of taking the highway North and then South we opted to take a smaller more direct route which ended up being interminably long and slow.  We had to make many inefficient and unplanned stops.  

And then, just as I was looking forward to making good time... Charlie threw up.  Copiously. We had given the boys cotton candy milkshakes as a bribe reward for improved behavior and twenty minutes after finishing it, Charlie's came back up.  Bright blue was everywhere.  Thankfully I was driving and James, who is much better at this kind of thing, was able to catch a good deal of it in a cup.  I pulled over as soon as we could so that we could clean him up.  And by we, I really mean James.  He is amazing.  I am rather a wimp when it comes to vomit but James cheerfully cleaned Charlie, his seat, his toys and the car.  I thank God for him!!

Once he had expelled the milkshake Charlie was fine and was soon running around.  As James worked on the car Charlie came up to me and said in a serious voice, "I threwed up.  That's not good.  I'm not having that (the milkshake) again.  Only lollipops."  The three older boys were great while this was going on and were able to run around a bit themselves.  

Jon colors while waiting to get back on the road
Once that crisis was over and we were back on the road we were able to make good time.  Of course, by then it was 4:00 and we had over 350 miles to go.  The rest of our drive was very pleasant and we had beautiful views all through Virginia and North Carolina (at least until it got dark).  

The only other hitch we had was when we ran into a rainstorm.  It was the worst rain I have ever seen.  It was more like a waterfall than rain.  Even with the windshield wipers going full blast they couldn't keep my windshield clean.  The visibility was down to only a few yards and big trucks only a short distance ahead were invisible.  We were between exits when it hit and there was no place to pull off so the only option was to move ahead very slowly.  It was nerve-racking!  Thankfully we made it through safely and so did everyone around us.  But I hope to never see rain like that again!

Clouds rolling over a mountain
Despite all our difficulties, the drive was beautiful.  James and I listened to Mere Christianity and had wonderful discussions, we sang along to Future of Forestry, Dr Horrible and Oleander, and we enjoyed some Pratchett when we needed a break from philosophical conversations.  The boys were much better on last stretch and we all enjoyed the views.  James wished we could have stopped for pictures around every corner!

An old shack that James took to show my dad.
I love our country!!  It is so big and beautiful.  We have done this drive many times but I never tire of the scenery and we always find something new to enjoy.  But I want so much to drive across the country and see the West.  My dream is to drive out and explore Wyoming and Montana.  Hopefully when the boys are older we can set out one spring and head West.  
Now we have arrived at our familiar hotel.  The boys are sleeping as is James.  It is time for me to join them.  Tomorrow James is working and the boys and I will take things slow.  We are all hoping for some time in the pool!!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment