May 10, 2014

Disney Days - Reflections on Disney

  We had a wonderful time on this trip and I really enjoyed Disney.  One of the things I was most impressed with was the excellent customer service.  Every staff member was cheerful, friendly and went out of their way to make this a good experience.  Only once did I hear a Disney employee make a sarcastic comment (to a man who had walked through the middle of a parade) and that was only memorable because it was so rare.  It wasn't just that all the employees were helpful or nice but they all seemed genuinely cheerful and invested in our having a good time.  I think all companies could learn a lot from the way that Disney treats its customers.  

  On this trip we stayed in one of the Disney hotels and used their bus system to get around.  This was different for us because we usually like the freedom that comes with having our own car but I really enjoyed staying on the property and the bus system was excellent.  We were such a large party that we never would have been able to travel together in a car and the bus also made it a lot easier to separate if some of us wanted to get in late or leave early.  I was very happy with the bus, we never had to wait long and the drivers were always pleasant and very helpful with the wheelchair.

  Staying on the property was great too because we were all able to stay together.  Our room shared a connecting door with Noel, Greg and Diana and Camille was right next door on the other side.  And the boys were happy because we were so close to the pool.  I was very impressed with the pool staff.  The lifeguards were pleasant and very focused on watching out for struggling swimmers.  There weren't too many pool rules and when they did have to enforce them, the lifeguards did so in a kind way.  When Charlie closed the pool by throwing up they were very nice about it.  The staff also arraigned pool games for the kids although my sons were too busy jumping and swimming to join in.

  On this trip we invested in the dinning plan which gave us one table service meal (restaurant), one quick service meal (fast food) and one snack for each night at the hotel.  I think it really worked well for us on this trip although I'm not sure I would get it again.  I don't actually know if it was cheaper, (I'm too lazy to do the research and the math) but it definitely felt cheaper and it was very easy to use.  Charlie didn't have a plan and just shared whatever we were eating.  We had plenty of food.  Too much really since we are not used to getting a dessert with every meal.  

  The only thing the meal plan did not cover was the tips.  All our meals were very expensive which is why I initially thought that the meal plan was cheaper.  But if we were paying in cash we would have ordered less expensive things, shared more meals and bought less dessert so I think we would have ultimately saved money.  But I am so glad that we had the meal plan for this trip and it was definitely nice to not have to think about how much everything cost!

  One other thing I loved about Disney was how handicapped accessible it was.  No, not just accessible, it was handicapped friendly and welcoming.  The parks were designed to be easily navigated in a wheelchair or scooter and all the staff was helpful and accommodating.  With a wheelchair you could go right to the ride and the staff would bring the chair around to the exit so it was waiting when you got off.  And for people who couldn't get up at all, some rides were made to swing open so that the wheelchair could be strapped down.  I was very impressed by this and by the care that they took with everyone who was handicapped.

  My favorite park by far was the Magic Kingdom.  It seemed as if there was so much more to do and to see.  We spent two days there and we still didn't get to see everything.  I enjoyed the other parks as well but I'm glad we saved the Magic Kingdom for last because it blew the others ones away.  

Well that's it really.  Just some thoughts on our trip that I wasn't able to fit in anywhere else.  I'll have to start on today's post about trip home and I will finally have some more pictures!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment