May 7, 2014

Disney Days - The Magic Kingdom

  I have to confess that I've never understood the pull of Disney.  Don't get me wrong, we are having a fantastic time but "the most magical place on earth" always seemed a little... pretentious.  But now I get it.  I see the lure and now understand why so many families come here every single year.  This morning we went to the Magic Kingdom and our day was, well, magical.  


Nana, Diana, Will and Jon in front of the Magic Kingdom
Nana kisses
Jon's revenge




In front of the castle
Jon and Grandma in the Magic Kingdom
  We had a pretty late start this morning.  After last night's pool fiasco we ended up going to bed without prepping for the following day and so we were a little behind.  We arrived at the park around 11 and headed right for the Adventureland section of the park.  Our first ride was Pirates of the Caribbean which was great!  The kids loved it and were excited to see Captain Jack Sparrow whom they know from their Lego video game. 


On Pirates of the Caribbean. 

Pirate attack!
Don't mess with Grandma!
  

  Since we are spending two days in the Magic Kingdom we decided to go though each area fully instead of trying to hit just our favorite rides and backtracking.  Most of our day was spent in the Adventureland and Frontierland areas.  The lines were pretty short and Noel was able to use the fast pass system to get us into the rides with the longer lines.  (She has saved us a LOT of time and trouble on this trip!)  Will and Jon both braved the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and did very well.  Jon was thrilled with it and right away asked if he could go again.  But Will was a lot quieter after the ride (he doesn’t like the dark or loud noises) and only said “I am in my happy place, just like in the Dinosaur ride”.  

Jungle Cruise
Diana protects the boys on the Jungle Cruise ride
Waiting in line

On the Flying Carpet ride

Me and Will on the Flying Carpet




Ice break!
  We were also able to see the parade which was fantastic!  Poor Charlie slept right through it but Will had a great view and Jon was able to see most of it from my shoulders.   Speaking of my shoulders… I forgot to put sunscreen on them this morning so now I have a weird looking sunburn.  Fortunately Noel packed some aloe so I’ll be alright but it was a bit painful to have Jonny up there.  He was so happy though, always exclaiming as each new character came into view.


Anna and Elsa in the parade
Trying to pull out King Arthur's sword
Daddy comes to help

Grandma with some very silly boys

Daddy's boys
Boys in front of the castle (yes, I cut off the top...)
    For dinner we ate at the Crystal Palace and had another great meal.  And this was the highlight of the day, and possibly of the trip, because the boys got to meet Tigger!  Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and Eeyore each came to our table for signatures and lots of hugs.  Seeing their faces was just perfect and all of the boys were so excited.  They hugged each character multiple times (we had to pull them away) and when Tigger came the boys almost knocked him down with their excitement.  Jon drew a picture of each one opposite the page they signed.  I love their signature books but I am going to treasure Jon’s especially because there is so much of him in it.  


Jon drawing in his signature book
Hugging Tigger and almost knocking him down
Jon's drawing of Tigger
Waiting for Tigger!
Nana and the boys love E

Nana and Eeyore


Jon's picture of Pooh
Piglet!!
Pooh Bear!


  After dinner we did one more Adventureland ride before heading towards Fantasyland.  On the way we all stopped at the Haunted Mansion.  We barely got in the door before Will and Jon decided that this wasn’t for them and emphatically asked to get out.  I took all the boys out to wait in the sun but Charlie was indignant.  “I wanna go on the scary ride!”  Instead, we admired Rapunzel’s tower and Charlie and I danced around the town square. 

Me and my boys
Rapunzel's tower

Posing for a castle picture
Nana's boys!
  From there we were off to the Pooh ride which had the best line I have ever seen.  All the lines in Disney have interesting things to look at or read but this one had games for the kids.  One section had a place for the kids to go off and play while the adults waited in the line, while another section featured huge touch screens where the kids could clear away honey to find Pooh.  I think the boys would have been perfectly happy if the ride had been twice as long.  Afterward, as we walked out through the gift shop Jon said to James “I’m still scared from the Dinosaur ride so I need another lollypop.”  

In Eeyore's House

My little Cabege
My blue eyed cabege

Honey Bees in the line


  Our last ride of the night was another 3D movie called Mickey’s Philhar Magic and I think it was the best 3D movie yet.  The show followed Donald Duck through numerous Disney songs and the effects were great.  Poor Charlie was so nervous!  He was asleep for yesterday’s Bug movie so he wasn’t used to feeling wind on his face as objects flew out at him. 

Freitags in front of the castle

Will at the Magic Kingdom
  If the day could have ended there it would have been perfect.  But we had two (minor!) injuries on our way home.  Before we got out of the park Charlie, who was sitting on Grandma’s lap, ran over Will with the scooter.  James and I had been hunting for the stroller (Disney staff moves them) and when we got back both boys were sobbing.  Will’s leg had been hurt and I think Charlie was just scared.  Thankfully Nana was comforting Will while Diana held Charlie so they were in good hands.  And by the time we got back to the bus Will was feeling much better and insisted on standing up for the whole drive.  Then, as they were running back to our room Jon tripped five feet from the door and smacked his head on the ground.  When he looked up his mouth was bloody so we rushed him into the room.  I don’t know what I would do without James because he was so calm while I was (quietly) freaking out.  It turned out that he had just cut his gums a little and once he stopped bleeding Jon was fine.  Unfortunately his loose tooth still didn’t come out!


Well that’s it for tonight.  I am skipping huge parts of our day because it is late and we have a very early morning tomorrow.  But it was an absolutely wonderful day and I am so glad we can spend tomorrow in the park too!  

2 comments:

  1. I've so enjoyed reading these Bethany!! It's brings me joy to read and see how much fun all of you are having! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elisa! We have really been having a wonderful time! :-)

    ReplyDelete