September 30, 2019

Canada Day Five - Last day in Ottawa

What a great night! I just had the best time with a very good friend! It was the perfect way to end our time in Ottawa. But I am getting a little ahead of myself... 

Due to poor planning and the fear of inclement weather, we were unable to go to the Natural History museum today because it is closed on Mondays. So instead we went to Canada's National Art Gallery. The museum was beautiful, with a huge sweeping entry leading to a lobby with tall glass ceilings. 

Walking into the National Gallery
National Gallery lobby
The first floor was all Canadian, from very early indigenous art to modern. It was all very interesting but I'm afraid I wasn't able to fully appreciate it as most of time in the museum was spent following after Christian. I've yet to find an art museum that is built for children, especially the active types, and this one was particularly difficult. Why do they build museums with such loud floors and echoing rooms and then expect everyone to be so silent? Christian wasn't being bad, and he was trying to appreciate the art in his own way. But it was hard for him to understand why he couldn't touch some of the exhibits, especially the large metal or concrete structures, the garden, and the pool of water. 

Jon in the National Gallery
Resting by the pool
Will wandering the museum
Will and Jon were great and wandered through the museum a little faster than Grandma but never got too far ahead. And while this wasn't their first choice, I do think they found and appreciated some interesting exhibits. While getting Christian to stay in the general vicinity was tough, he also enjoyed looking at some of the exhibits. And I have some ideas for how to make our next art trip more successful. 

Tired boys
Will was excited to take a selfie with another "selfie" (self portrait)
Christian and Jon both liked these camels

One room that did capture their attention was a hall of nudes. Of course. When I suggested to Christian that we move into the next room he said "But mom, I'm looking at art" Later he wanted to show the hall to Daddy too. And as James followed the boys to the exhibits Will said in a very serious voice, "Daddy, remember that you are married" 

Boys in the museum
Jon

It was a beautiful museum and really, everything went very well. We only stressed out the security guard a little bit when he thought Jon was about to touch a painting. (He wasn't.) But by the time we left I was exhausted by the effort to make sure nothing did happen. 

When we came out it was beautiful and sunny so we took a short walk back to the other side of Byward Market. We found another good place to eat and had a very pleasant meal. Then we did a little more shopping before heading out to a playground at Lansdowne Park.The playground was pretty great and had a huge rope structure that was challenging and a little terrifying for the kids. But they had a lot of fun playing around while James and I enjoyed a walk. On the way back we found a pile of snow from the ice skating rink so of course we grabbed a couple of snowballs to throw at the kids. I waited until James threw his and then Christian and I nailed him. :-)

Playing with a fountain
Will climbing the rope structure
Boys on the rope structure. Only Will made it all the way across the first time
Will spinning Jon
James and I had plans to go out that night and Camille had very kindly agreed to babysit. She is wonderful! So we left the playground fairly early so we could get them all settled. They had a great night with movies, pizza, ice cream, video games, and all the sweets Grandma had stored away. They are very lucky kids!

Christian with a slide whistle
Daddy crushes his kids
My turn to drive
But soon we had them all set up and it was time to go and meet my friend! This is another one of my online friends and someone I've known for three years now. We've gotten pretty close in that time and I was super excited to meet him and also very nervous! Poor James... I honestly don't know how he puts up with my excessive over worrying. But I shouldn't have wasted my time, it was a really great night! 

Ottawa
 We met Bates on a bridge near the center of town and headed off toward the Market area to find something to eat. He knew all kinds of good restaurants, all of them more adventurous than I am used to. We finally settled on a little Japanese place, an all you can eat sushi restaurant. Not liking rice and being strongly opposed to eating any raw meat, I have until this point resisted eating any sushi. But tonight I tried raw salmon, eel, and shrimp tempura and it wasn't bad. (Don't get your hopes up, James, it probably won't happen again) And the shrimp tempura was so good I ordered seconds. 

Dinner was delicious and we had so much fun talking that I didn't want the night to end, even after we'd sat there a half hour after the table was cleared. So the three of us wandered Byward Market on a hunt for ice cream. We didn't find any but we did find a small cafe that was still open and serving some delicious chocolate and caramel cake. 

Me and Bates
By the time we finished desert it was getting late and time to head home. We gave Bates a ride back which was great because it gave us more time to talk. Or would have if I hadn't managed to miss my turn and take us down a back dirt road which ended up being closed... But it was an adventure! Thankfully the wrong turns happened before we dropped him off so Bates was able to get us back on the right road again.

It was such a great night and I am so happy I was able to see my friend! And very thankful for Camille who gave James and I a night off. What a blessing that was! But now it is incredibly late and tomorrow we are off on the road again. Thankfully just to Quebec City which isn't very far. Still, it is high time I went to bed. 
Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment