September 1, 2013

Bar Harbor Day One - Arrival

  We're here!  The drive wasn't as nearly as bad as I thought and even though we left a little late we still arrived in plenty of time for the pool.  I was a little worried about taking all seven of us up in our old van but it was fine and even the lack of air conditioning was a blessing in disguise.  It turns out that when the windows are down we can't hear the kids at all!  I'm kidding (mostly), but it was a very pleasant drive.  

Charlie checks out a moose
Colin does a flip on the playground
  After check-in and a quick trip to the store we succumbed to the pleading of the boys and headed down to the hotel pool.  The pool was beautifully deep at one end and at the other there was a roped off section just shallow enough for Colin, Will and Jon to keep their heads above the water.  It was perfect for all the boys to practice their "swimming skills".  Jon would stand on the pool steps and say "one, two, three, swim!" and then jump in and swim as far as he could.  I am so proud of him!

Colin in the pool
playing in the pool
Will in the pool
James swimming with the boys 
  We had so much fun in the water.  James and I even had a cannonball contest to see who could make the biggest splash.  I hate to brag but according to the boys... I won!!  :-)  James however was voted the best at throwing the boys into the water.  I wish I had brought my underwater camera so I could show you pictures of Colin and Will doing flips.  They had a blast!  Charlie had fun too, swimming around in his float and trying to jump into the pool.  But he got cold first and ended up cuddling in Grandma's lap while they watched the rest of us swim.

Colin dives in
Will gets ready...
...he leaps...
...and here comes...
...the splash!!

  I was meeting a friend for dinner so James and Camille took the boys out for pizza in town.  Apparently the boys were very good at the restaurant and also later when James put them all to bed.  Bedtime in a new hotel is usually tricky (even when we only have two) and I felt a little guilty for leaving James alone for the hardest part of the day.  But I shouldn't have worried, James is a pro and he had all of them laying down quietly by 8:30 and three of them asleep by 9.  Will stayed awake until 10 listening to "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White.  (He is just like me!!)  It went so well that I think I should go out tomorrow night too...

Colin waits for dinner
Grandma entertains the boys
  My friend, Candace, picked me up and we went to the other side of the Island.  We met in Freshman English at college and we have been friends ever since.  We've always lived in the same area but a couple of years ago Candace, along with her husband and son, moved to Bar Harbor and we though we occasionally talk we haven't seen each other since.  So I was really excited to have the opportunity for a girl's night.

Our evening was perfect!  The dinner was fabulous, each dish was better than the last.  And we just sat and talked and talked and talked.  Finally, as the staff was vacuuming up, we decided it was time to leave.  And still when she dropped me off we stood outside the hotel and talked for another forty minutes.  It was as if no time had passed at all.  It was wonderful!  I am so thankful for her friendship and for the opportunity for us to get away and just spend time together.  But now, alas, it is very late so I am off to bed.  Tomorrow we hit the town and take a boat ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment