July 3, 2013

July 3rd - Fireworks

  Today was an excellent way to begin our long 4th of July weekend.  This morning I took all three boys to visit my friend Emily at her new house.  They loved her house and immediately started running around the "racetrack" through her living room, dining room and hallway.  Charlie enjoyed running too but he was also captivated by the chandeliers in her downstairs rooms which he called "cool lights" (Hooray for putting two words together!! Now let's add a thrid...).  And Will enjoyed the piano where he was able to play some "Bowser Music".

  After a quick tour of her amazing house we decided to take the boys to the local playground where they could play more constructively.  It has been raining all this week and last but the playground was mostly dry except for some large puddles in the surrounding field.  Under the swings was damp and it looked there was just a small bit of water on the mulch.  Charlie walked over and was immediately over his ankles in a pool of water.  I took him out and warned the boys not to go near the swings but Charlie ran over again and this time fell down in the puddle.  He was soaked!

  Despite the wet toddler we all had a good time and Will and Jon were very upset when they heard of my future plans to visit Emily without them.  James need to take the car to work so all too soon we headed home for lunch and naps.  During nap time (which is really only a nap for Charlie) Will finished the book he was reading on vacation, his very first chapter book!!  So of course we had to head down to the library to get another one.

  I took my brother David and his friend A.J. with was fortuitous since they were both needed to keep Charlie out of trouble.  As Will picked out his next chapter book, Mummies in the Morning, a shark book and two audio books, I helped Jon get his first library card!!  He was happy to take out two books of his very own!  Jon was so excited that on our walk home he told everyone we passed that "I have my own library card!".  I am so proud of my little boy.

 James works second shift but unbeknownst to me he had worked while I was visiting Emily so that he could join us for the local fireworks tonight.  We went with the three kids, my dad, David and we met up with Charlie's paternal grandmother, Sally*.  We had so much fun!!  There was a free face painting booth set up as well as a place for kids to temporarily color their hair.  My wiggly Jon got a Spider man mask and Will was determined to describe the Sonic face he wanted to a woman who had never heard of Sonic the Hedgehog.  She did a pretty good job considering, and he was very happy about it.  Charlie, however, didn't want to have anything to do with the face paint. 

Will as Sonic
Spider Jon
Face paint!
Spider Jon with a bubble gun

  On our way back to our chairs, Sally bought Will a glowing blue sword and Jon and Charlie each a bubble gun.  We were sitting next to kids around the boys ages and I was proud of my three for sharing their brand new toys.  The kids also shared their bubbles and sparklers and they all had fun running around together.  We ran into Colin, Will and Jon's best friend, as well as some of my friends.    We had a great time waiting for the fireworks which was good because it took a long time for them to start!  


Grandpa and Charlie play with bubbles
Jon plays with a sparker
waiting for fireworks


tempting toys




 















  I had thought the show would be at 9 or 9:30 but it didn't begin until 10:00 which was a bit late for us.  But the fireworks were great and we all loved them.  Will sat with David and I had Jon on my lap for most of the show.  Charlie went back and forth from me to his Grammie the whole time.  I realized tonight that I will be very sad when I have to watch the fireworks without a child in my lap.  Hopefully that won't be for many years!

Will and David watch the fireworks

Sally, Charlie, Me and Jon enjoy the show

Grandpa watches the fireworks


  This was the first year that Jon didn't have his hands over his ears the whole time!!  He is growing up!  Charlie loved the fireworks, he wasn't scared at all.  He alternated between saying "Boom" and clapping his hands and yelling "Yay!"  He was so cute!  I wish I could have gotten a picture of his face but James and my dad hogged the camera the whole night. Though they did get some great pictures, including some amazing ones of Charlie that, alas, I can't show you.  (But take my word for it, he is very cute!)


Daddy gives Jon a ride
Boys in the dark



David and James
waiting for cheesy fries
Colin and Jon swordfight

  Even though it was 11:00 before we got the kids in bed, Will insisted on using a flashlight to read the first chapters of his book before he fell asleep.  He is just like me!  I know it may have been a bad parenting move to let him stay up later but I just can't say no to reading...  :-)



* I always change the names for anyone connected to an active foster care case.

No comments:

Post a Comment